Student Health Advantage is a long-term international student health insurance offering medical insurance designed individual students and their dependent family members, or groups of two or more international students studying in USA or any nation abroad, or exchange scholars participating in a sponsored study abroad program.
Student Health Advantage Insurance plan offers an annually renewable comprehensive medical coverage the meets student and exchange program visa requirements, includes benefits for pre-existing conditions, maternity, mental health coverage, organized sports and international emergency care.
Following Student Health Advantage Plan options are available as an individual/family policy or Group plan (2 or more international students):
- Student Health Advantage – Standard with Standard benefits included.
- Student Health Advantage – Platinum for Platinum policy with enhanced coverage.
Student Health Advantage Insurance is designed for individuals or groups of two or more students or scholars participating in a sponsored study abroad program, and desire an annually renewable comprehensive medical plan. This plan meets US F-1/F-2 student visa requirements, includes benefits for maternity, mental health, organized sports and international emergency care.
Student Health Advantage Insurance is designed for students participating in international programs, cultural exchange participants such as J1 visa holders who are Au Pairs, graduates and international students, scholars and educators, and their dependents. Student Health Advantage plan coverage is designed to meet the U.S. J1 visa health insurance requirements, quote, review, apply and buy online.
The SHA plan is administered by International Medical Group, Inc. (IMG) and underwritten by Sirius International Insurance Corporation, which is rated A “Excellent” by A.M. Best.
- Quote and Buy Student Health Advantage – Standard plan option online
- Quote and Buy Student Health Advantage – Platinum plan option online
- Review the common Student Health Advantage Insurance Brochure
Student Health Advantage Insurance Review
Review the IMG Student Health Advantage plan which is designed for international students and/or their dependent spouse/children while studying in USA or abroad in any foreign country.
- Eligibility: Foreign nationals, and their depended spouse/children studying in USA, or in any international location outside of their home country.
- COVID-19: Plan INCLUDES coverage for testing/treatment of coronavirus for policy purchased on/after July 1, 2020 – Both Standard and Platinum plans do NOT exclude Covid-19.
- Policy Maximum: Plan offers maximum coverage amount choices up to $500,000 per injury or illness, with a lifetime maximum coverage amount of $5,000,000. Dependent maximum is $100,000.
- Plan Deductible: Deductible of $100 per illness or injury, reduced $5 copay per visit at student health center.
- Duration: Minimum period of 5 days to initial purchase period of 1 year (364 days). Plan is renewable up to 4 years total.
- Pre-existing Conditions: Acute-onset of pre-existing conditions is covered in this plan.
- Coverage Benefits: Covers use of Student Health Center, Hospital Room and Board charges, Intensive Care unit charges, Local Ambulance, Physician visits, Surgeon Fees, Pre-admission tests and Hospital emergency room are covered, Diagnostics: X-Rays, Labs, Prescription Drugs included
- Administrator: Plan is administered by International Medical Group Inc. (IMG)
- Underwriter: Underwritten by Sirius International Insurance Corporation.
Student Health Advantage Insurance – Plan Brochure
Review the plan brochure for coverage information including the summary of benefits table available for both the Standard or Platinum plan options.
- Plan Brochure: Review the Student Health Advantage Plan Brochure for plan information.
Student Health Advantage – Certificate of Insurance
Review the plan sample certificate of insurance for detailed coverage information including plan exclusions and in-depth policy benefits for both the Standard or Platinum plan options.
- Certificate of Insurance: Review all the policy details available in the Student Health Advantage Insurance Certificate which is the detailed sample document of the master policy.
Student Health Advantage Insurance PPO Network
IMG Student Health Advantage Insurance has an extensive USA based and international PPO network of doctors, hospitals, labs, and other caregivers. The plan uses the third-party FirstHealth PPO network and also the United HealthCare PPO network for caregivers and providers.
- Provider Network: Search and find doctors, hospitals, labs, and other providers within the IMG PPO Network to to save on coinsurance charges.
Student Health Advantage Insurance – Quote/Buy Online or Apply
Quote/Buy instantly online or print/complete the paper application along with the payment.
- Quote/Buy SHA Standard Plan: Get instant quote & Buy Student Health Advantage Standard coverage online.
- Quote/Buy SHA Platinum Plan: Get instant quote & Buy Student Health Advantage Platinum coverage online.
- Application Form: Complete, mail/fax the Student Health Advantage Paper Application along with payment
Student Health Advantage Insurance – Renew/Extend Coverage
IMG Student Health Advantage Insurance coverage can be extended or renewed to a maximum period of 364 days. A $5 renewal additional fee apples for each renewal application.
- Renew Policy: Extend the Student Health Advantage plan coverage dates using Student Health Advantage Plan Renew Online.
Student Health Advantage Insurance – Claims
Download and submit the claims form along with for detailed information and bills for review.
- Claims Form: Download the IMG Student Health Advantage Insurance Claims form on the IMG Client Resources page.
Student Health Advantage Insurance Details
Student Health Advantage policy plan summary of benefits and details of coverage benefits as below:
|Student Health Advantage|
|Maximum Limit||Student: $500,000; Dependent: $100,000|
|Maximum Limit per Illness or Injury||Student: $300,000; Dependent: $100,000|
|Deductible||$100 per illness or injury
Student health center: $5 copay per visit
|Coinsurance||Outside of the U.S.: Company pays 100%
In PPO network or student health center within the U.S.: Company pays 100%
Out of PPO network if within the U.S.: Company pays 80% of eligible expenses up to $5,000; then 100% thereafter
|Hospital Room and Board||Average semi-private room rate, including nursing service|
|Intensive Care||After deductible is met, company pays 80% of expenses out-of- network (U.S.) or 100% in-network (U.S.)
|Emergency Room Injury||After deductible is met, company pays 80% of expenses out-of- network (U.S.) or 100% in-network (U.S.)
|Emergency Room Illness resulting in Hospitalization||After deductible is met, company pays 80% of expenses out-of- network (U.S.) or 100% in-network (U.S.)
|Emergency Room Illness without Inpatient Admission||After deductible is met, company pays 80% of expenses out-of- network (U.S.) or 100% in-network (U.S.) and internationally; Subject to additional $250 deductible|
|Mental or Nervous / Substance Abuse||Outpatient: $50 per day; $500 maximum limit; Inpatient: After deductible is met, company pays 80% of expenses out-of- network (U.S.) or 100% in-network (U.S.) and internationally up to $10,000 maximum limit; Student health center treatment: $0|
|Prescription Drugs||Inpatient: After deductible is met, company pays 80% of expenses out-of- network (U.S.)
or 100% in-network (U.S.) and internationally
Outpatient: 50% of actual charges
90 day dispensing maximum
(Medical order or treatment plan required)
|After deductible is met, company pays 80% of expenses out-of- network (U.S.) or 100% in-network (U.S.) and internationally; limit one visit per day|
|Local Ambulance||$350 per illness resulting in an inpatient hospitalization or injury|
|Dental||Non-emergency treatment at a dental provider due to an accident – $500 period of coverage limit per injury; Unexpected pain to sound, natural teeth – $350 period of coverage limit|
|Eligible Medical Expenses||After deductible is met, company pays 80% of expenses out-of- network (U.S.)or 100% in-network (U.S.) and internationally|
|Interfacility Ambulance Transfer
(For services rendered in the U.S.)
|Company pays 100%. Transfer must be a result of an inpatient hospital admission|
|Emergency Medical Evacuation||$500,000 maximum limit|
|Emergency Reunion||$50,000 maximum limit|
|Return of Mortal Remains||$50,000 maximum limit|
|Political Evacuation and Repatriation||$10,000 maximum limit|
|Intercollegiate/Interscholastic/Intramural or Club Sports||$5,000 period of coverage limit per illness or injury|
|Incidental Trip Coverage||Up to a cumulative 14 days (available for non-U.S. residents only)|
|Pre-existing Conditions||Charges excluded until after 12 months of continuous coverage|
|Terrorism||$50,000 maximum limit|
|AD&D||Student: $25,000 principal sum; Spouse: $10,000 principal sum; Dependent child: $5,000 principal sum;
Accidental dismemberment percentage of principal sum
(Secondary to any other insurance)
|$10,000 combined maximum limit
Injury to third person: subject to a $100 per injury deductible
Damage to third person’s property: subject to a $100 per damage deductible
* All amounts shown are in U.S. dollars.
Disclaimer: This page contains only a consolidated information of the the summary of benefits as in the policy brochure. For a detailed description of all current benefits, conditions covered, limitations and general exclusions, please refer to the plan certificate. The data on this page could have changed, always refer to the complete certificate wording with all terms, conditions and exclusions.
Student Health Advantage Insurance FAQ
Below are some of the questions frequently asked (FAQs) with the Student Health Advantage (SHA) plans: